Tamįs Bakócz used to belong to the more intimate circle of King Matthias. After the death of Matthias, he became the Lord Chancellor of Wladislas II. Following the example of Matthias, he also sponsored art. Major buildings were started when he was the Archbishop of Esztergom.
|The Chapel was built in the honour of Maria Annunziata (Blessed Virgin Mary) at the southern side of the Cathedral in Esztergom. It has a Greek cross plan with niches in axes. Side walls in the middle are divided into three zones. Red marble carvings, proportions of Vitruvius and Renaissance space are all intended to express cardinalship. The white marble altar by Andrea Ferrucci rises above the red marble background (1519). Unfortunately, the altar was partly damaged and is not in its original place (edges followed shoulder ridges of niches).|